You love him to bits, but sometimes silence kicks in and things seem a bit boring. Silence at times seems inevitable.
It might seem that there are not many things to talk to your boyfriend about every day.
You find that repeating the same stories can be boring some of the time.
You want to keep the conversation going rather than sitting in silence. You want to have things to talk about!
Well, whether you’re looking for an evening full of laughter or an evening filled with meaningful conversations, there are topics out there!
18 things you can talk about with your boyfriend and some questions to help you guide the conversation:
1. What the future holds
The future is a topic you can talk about with your boyfriend that never gets old and there is always something to talk about.
You can discuss your common plans and personal development plans.
What you talk about can change depending on your mood or an aspect that you hadn’t considered before.
Here are some questions you can discuss the future with your boyfriend:
– What do you think your future looks like, say, 5 or 10 years from now?
– Who do you think will be with us down the road?
– What scares you about the future?
– What excites you about the future?
– Where is the place that you’d like to settle down?
2. Things that bring excitement into your lives
The more you try to keep yourself active and try new things, the more there will be something to talk about.
What you can talk to your boyfriend about are things you do together and things that bring you excitement.
Things that bring you joy can be good topics to discuss. Hobbies are good examples of things that bring you joy. include everything from …
Interests and hobbies can be as simple as everyday routines, books, films, TV shows, news, sports, physical activities, collecting coins, paintings, etc.
Here are some questions that help you lead a good conversation when talking about things that bring you excitement:
– What book/film/TV show piqued your interest and why?
– What’s your favorite line from a book/film/TV show?
– What’s something that’s been giving you the utmost joy?
– Why do you like [insert hobby]?
– What’s something you have gained from your [hobby name]?
3. Something interesting you experienced
Sometimes sharing your experience about the people you have encountered during the day or even earlier or a certain experience with something is a good topic for discussion with your boyfriend.
These topics are a good way to seek advice, to get to know the other person more, and more often than not funny stories are shared.
It’s likely to lead to a long conversation where you recall things from the past that you didn’t think of in a while.
Here are some questions that help you talk about interesting things with your boyfriend:
– I encountered this kind of situation today, have you ever found yourself in a similar situation and how did you react?
– I remember you told me about [story]. Can you believe it, something similar happened to me today! [share story]
– What was the weirdest experience you’ve encountered?
– What is something you experienced that annoyed you the most?
– What’s an encounter that always makes you laugh?
4. Put yourselves in hypothetical situations
Making up hypothetical situations is another thing you can talk to your boyfriend about.
It can lead to very fun conversations, but also to deep conversations where you get to connect further on with one another.
You can decide how serious you want to get or where you want the conversation to lead.
Here are some ideas for hypothetical conversations that you can talk about with your boyfriend:
– If you could have one last conversation with someone who passed away, who would it be?
– You can go anywhere in the world with a snap. Where are you going?
– These are the 10 minutes before you disappear and reappear in the next 100 years. What are you taking with you?
– If you could enter a book, which character would you be and why?
– If you could live your life as a woman for a whole day, what would you do?
– Would you rather have arms as legs or legs as arms?
5. What concerns you about the world
The world is such a big place and the things to talk about it are numerous.
What you can converse with your boyfriend about are the expectations and changes that you think will occur based on current events.
This way you can share your points of view accompanied by the worries all of these changes are bringing.
Here are some things you can discuss your worries and concerns:
– Do you think new sources will be found/invented for the generation of electricity?
– How much longer do you think famine is going to last?
– With the economical inflation, do you think that investing is better or not?
– What do you think of this ongoing dispute of the current war?
– What should we expect next?
– Do you think student loans should be forgiven?
6. Your teen days and childhood
Childhood teen days are another superb topic you can talk about with your boyfriend!
Talking about the old times is a good way to reminisce about the memories you have created, and get to know what shaped your partner into who he is today.
There is always something to talk about the “back in the days”. It is a fun and interesting topic to explore.
The stories are endless and they vary from the happiest moments to the saddest ones. There are numerous things you can talk to your boyfriend about.
Here are some ideas:
– What’s your favorite memory from your childhood?
– How are you different from your teen days?
– What have you witnessed changing within you throughout your life?
– Who was your celebrity crush during your teenage years?
– What’s your favorite “back then” thing that has now changed?
– Would you like to live in your childhood home again?
– What’s a game you played as a kid that you still play now?
7. Something someone told you that you’ll remember forever
Ah, this topic can go in many directions!
You never know what to expect from this topic. People have shared great advice, sad stories, and hilarious moments.
Sometimes, some things just stick in your mind and you never know why.
So what you can talk about with your boyfriend is something that has been embedded in your mind for a long time.
Here are some questions that can start amazing conversations about those ‘forever’ words:
– What has stuck with you all this time?
– What’s the best/worst advice you have ever received and you’ll never forget?
– Why do you think this has stuck with you until now?
– If you had the chance to unhear it, would you take it?
8. Importance and impact of family and friends
Asking about family and friends is a good topic to talk about with your boyfriend.
If there’s a certain situation going on, sometimes sharing can help find a solution.
Family and friends are an important part of our lives and showcasing interest in their well-being just goes to tell how much you value them.
Here are some questions to ask about the importance of family and friends to your boyfriend:
– How was growing up in your family?
– How are they doing currently?
– What was a family activity you loved doing?
– Do you keep in contact with your childhood friends?
– What’s the longest friendship you have ever had?
– What’s the biggest argument you have ever had with your friends?
– Is there a friend that you’ve lost that you’d like to get back in touch with?
9. Research something he likes and ask him about it
Relationships require work, and that’s where beauty stands.
Sometimes you can go out of your way and do a bit of research on what he is interested in and ask him about it.
It’s about asking him about something he’s passionate about and just letting him talk about it while you listen to his opinions and ideas.
You don’t have to do extensive research, just enlighten yourself with key information, if your boyfriend is currency interested in tech, you can ask him:
– Why do you think the new IOS system is not getting a lot of good reviews online?
– Where do you think the new tech will lead us soon?
– What do you think of Saudi Arabia’s AI system that they are going to integrate into the new city’s communication transport?
– I want to get a new phone. Which brand and model should I take? Why?
– Why does everyone love Apple, yet they buy SAMSUNG and LG other electronics?
10. Future weekend plans
What you can talk about with your boyfriend are your plans for the weekend too. Not everyone agrees on the first few suggestions without sharing their opinions as well.
This topic can last for quite some time as you plan for the weekend and the preparations you need to make.
Here’s how you can talk about weekend plans with your boyfriend:
– What would you like to do this weekend?
– Is there something particular you want to do?
– What would we be doing if we picked your idea?
– What’s something we can do there?
– Are there specific measures we should take before the weekend plan starts?
11. Random facts you know or learned
What you can talk to your boyfriend about are random and fun facts as a way to make your conversations more interesting.
You can discuss them and perhaps even compete with whoever knows more.
They can also lead to other discussions and be developed on topics of their own.
Here are some random facts you can say to your boyfriend to have something to talk about:
– Did you know that we say “raise a toast” because the Ancient Romans would dip a piece of toast into their wine for health?
– Did you know that the act of eating when you are not hungry because your mouth is lonely is referred to in Japanese as ‘kuchi zamishi’?
– Were you aware that pigs can’t look up into the sky because it is physically impossible?
– Did you know that peanuts are one of the ingredients needed to make dynamite?
12. What makes or breaks your day
Another awesome topic you can talk about with your boyfriend is what makes or breaks your day.
Even if you have been together for a long time, preferences change and something is added to them almost every day.
It may seem to you that there is not much to discuss, but you’ll be surprised at how much more you can learn from each other, just by revisiting your old preferences.
– What’s been added to your dislike list lately? Why?
– How do you feel when something you dislike happens? How do you react to it?
– Why do you get annoyed by [add what annoys him]?
– What made your day today?
– Is there something that broke your day today?
– What has pushed you to like the things you already like?
– What’s something that has switched places on your list of likes and dislikes? Why?
13. Discuss your dreams, fears, and hopes
Another conversation topic can be talking about your worries.
Worries, dreams, and fears are some of the most common topics between couples.
Having things to talk about like dreams and worries relieves stress and shares the burden that you don’t have to carry on your own.
Having things to talk about like fears and hopes of the present will help lead to a heartfelt conversation that will pull you closer to each other.
Here are some examples of spot-on questions that can start quality conversations on dreams, fears, and hopes:
– What scares you the most right now?
– What’s something you look forward to?
– What’s your newest dream?
– How do you think the fears of the future are holding back your present?
– What’s one worry that will never go away?
14. An unfolding of regrets
The saying “Live life without any regrets” is another conversation topic that you can talk about with your boyfriend, which has been following us at one point in this journey.
And not everyone can live a life without any regrets.
Sometimes those what if-s can hold you back.
You can talk with your boyfriend about your long-life regrets as a topic to get you closer to each other:
– What’s one thing you wish you could undo? Why?
– How would you do things from the beginning, if you could restart your life?
– When do you think the regrets will be washed away?
– Do you think regrets are inevitable?
– Would you like a life without regrets?
15. Your achievements, morals, and values
Another conversation you can have with your boyfriend is acknowledging and being aware of your values and morals.
By doing this, you will gain a better understanding of each other, and what has shaped your ways of thinking and behaving.
During this exchange, you can learn and adapt from each other but also ask for explanations on what you don’t understand.
Here are some things you can ask about this topic:
– Do you think lying is considered a sin?
– What goes against your beliefs?
– What’s something you can never forgive?
– Have you ever questioned your morals?
– Do you think you were ever morally wrong?
– What’s something you’d never tolerate?
– How do you discern right from wrong?
16. Lessons from past relationships
What you can talk about with your boyfriend are past relationships and the lessons you’ve learned from them.
Those relationships don’t have to be romantic ones per se. They can be platonic, familial, work-related, etc.
Such a conversation doesn’t need to have details that might make your partner uncomfortable, but it is rather about the lesson you have gained.
Here are some questions you can ask about past relationships:
– What was the hardest decision you took while you were in a relationship?
– How do you think [a particular relationship in his life] has affected your life?
– What’s something you will forever cherish?
– What was your ideal happy ending?
– How would you define your relationships in the past?
– What could you have done differently to make it last?
17. Finance management and planning
A conversation you can have with your boyfriend is about financial expectations and a plan for finances.
Although you might think this is something you shouldn’t talk about, finances hold the third place for reasons behind divorce, according to a study.
However, the manner you bring up the topic matters. You shouldn’t accuse and argue over money.
Here are some questions that’ll clear the clouds on the topic of money:
– What are your financial expectations?
– Have you thought of a way you’d like to plan our finances?
– What are your thoughts on a joint bank account?
– What should we save our money for?
– What is something unworthy of spending money on?
18. Sharing day-to-day life
The mundane day-to-day talks shouldn’t be taken for granted. Sometimes, just light conversations can lead to something deeper.
Also, when talking about your day, it’s a good way to relieve stress and help each other calm down.
If you know he had something important to do that day, ask him about it. This will help him but also have something you can talk about together.
– How was your day?
– What’s something good that happened?
– What would be better if it didn’t happen?
– Is there anything that you’d like to talk about?
– On a scale of 1 to 5, how good was your day?
What can I do to make the conversations with my boyfriend better?
Communication skills are essential in keeping your relationship healthy since a lot of misunderstandings occur because of miscommunications.
There are times when conversations that you have with your boyfriend end suddenly or you just run out of things to say. There is nothing wrong with that.
Here’s what you can do to have better conversations with your boyfriend:
- Be a good listener, pay attention to what he’s saying, and try to understand his point;
- Ask open-ended questions;
- Take a look at his body language to know whether he’s reluctant or happy to continue the conversation;
- Show interest, empathy, and patience while he’s sharing his stories;
- Let him talk without interrupting him or misleading his point;
- Make him feel safe and heard by having a non-judgemental approach to your conversations.
All it takes is a simple question to ignite an interesting, fun, or deep conversation with your boyfriend.
Be attentive to his likes, dislikes, and his ways of doing things and you’ll have plenty to talk about with him.
Leave a Reply