What makes an LDR relationship special? Is it the words you use, gifts you buy, or mutual activities that you make?
You may be next to each other and still not have a sense of closeness if both of you lack emotional connection. This means that you can create an emotional connection and strengthen the bond despite the miles.
It is the effort that you put into that relationship combined with fun, romantic, and creative activities that you can have. The key is to keep the flame alive.
Maintaining healthy habits of texting is one important thing, but sometimes it might get tiring, scary, and even confusing but if you try to keep that spark alive with these ideas, it’ll be far from boring.
These 33 ideas or things to do in LDR are both appropriate for a guy or a girl. In a long-distance relationship, it is important to keep the relationship fun and also meaningful.
1. Buy morning coffee monthly to one another and leave cute notes next to it
Well, coffee is always needed; adding little notes to it is one of the cute things to do for your long-distance boyfriend or long-distance girlfriend.
You can plan this with the coffee shop and try to leave him cute notes next to that cup, this could be a perfect way to be more present in your partner’s life.
Here you have some cute notes that you might write:
1. “You are my cup of coffee.”
2. “The sun is shining today and so are you.”
3. “I’d like you to smile and brighten up that city. Now send me a pic, lol.”
2. Plan a mysterious date night for your partner
Choose a place and a meal for each other – someplace and something you didn’t try before.
It builds excitement and fun times into your relationship.
You can discuss your impression regarding the place, choice of music, the food that you ate, and so on. You can do this while video calling, texting, or talking on the phone.
3. Spice it up! Have a Hot Question Game Night
This is a romantic idea that you can use. If you are already comfortable and close with your partner then you can shoot your questions.
For a Hot Question Game night, you can have a video call and a list of questions you’d like to ask each other, make them hot and spicy if you want a hot and spicy conversation!
4. Create your mutual ‘Jar of Dreams’ as you plan your future together
If you are for some time in a relationship or even at the beginning of your relationship try and have the Jar of Dreams.
Both of you can use the Jar to put small pieces of paper with your dreams written on it.
Try to discuss it a little bit with your partner and keep track of how your individual and personal dreams/plans are going.
5. Buy each other favorite books and then discuss them
Books are cute gifts for someone in a long-distance relationship. Send your lover his or her favorite book and swap them later on while leaving cute notes through pages!
6. Have a bingo night
You might consider this as cheesy and maybe label that only something old people would do. I have to disagree here.
When you have gone through other ideas of dates, bingo night is the right one. It is a low-intensity game that lets you also chat in between.
You can print bingo boards and buy some tokens, you can even personalize those boards with your questions.
7. Once a week, dare one another to try food or drinks you’ve never tried before
This one is quite fun and creative, yet is simple: Once a week, dare your partner to try some food they have never tried before.
It might be a way to challenge one another and find out what your boundaries are. Text or call one another and let them know how the process goes.
8. Choose a list of movies and watch them together
One way to have fun together and enhance your relationship is to watch movies together – through video calls or simply playing the movie at the same time while you’re texting.
You can discuss what you would do if you were in the shoes of that character (if it is an LDR movie), at the same time have fun and learn more about each other.
9. Play virtual beer pong while you facetime
Virtual beer pong can be played on the weekend when two of you can have a long night having fun and talking.
You can play it with actual cups at your home or even play an online beer pong game. Make sure to prepare some questions that you might want to ask your lover.
Note: They shoot a score, you answer or drink but not from the cups in front of you.
Beware: Make your questions clear. Don’t make your lover feel uncomfortable while answering your questions.
There are 201 Questions to ask a guy but you can use them with a twist for a girl too.
10. Get into sexting every now and then
You can be intimate with one another despite the miles. Exchange sexy text messages, tell each other what you’d do if in the presence of one another.
If you’re not comfortable sexting you can at least flirt through text with him or her. It’s simple: send flirty texts to him or her.
You can exchange photos too, but make sure it’s a safe app to do so.
11. Plant a tree or a flower and name them after one another
Admit it, this is a cute way to do it while being far away. When you plant a tree or a flower you plant the seed of your relationship too.
You can plant that tree or flower and name it after one another. As you take care of it, you have a sense of taking care of the relationship by nourishing it with time and light.
12. Read each other late-night stories, through the phone
This does not happen only in the movies but also in real life. At night before sleeping you can call one another. You can tell each other stories or even read something that both of you like until you fall asleep.
Listening to the voice of someone you like/love and are dating, makes you feel at ease and it feels like your partner is there physically.
13. Create a music playlist – Send songs to one another
Even at the early stage of a relationship sending songs to one another increases your communication and a stronger sense of bonding.
Create your special playlist while replying to one another with songs. This way you will be able to express your feelings even if they’re momentary.
Note: Besides songs, you can send her or him funny texts to make them laugh and make their day better.
14. Swap your personalities/lives for a day and live each other’s life
This is a personal favorite!
Even if you are miles away. You try everything from his/her perspective. This means you will eat the food that your girlfriend or boyfriend eats, try out the morning/night routine, try one of their hobbies, etc.
It is something that helps enhance the communication between you two while you put yourself in his or her shoes.
15. Go to a pet store and have a virtual tour together in two different places
If both of you like animals then this would be a perfect activity for you two.
Each of you can choose a pet shop, whenever you are and go explore those places together while connecting virtually!
16. Have a crazy day while trying to do different professions
This is one of the crazy ideas to try on your long-distance relationship. It would be recommended to try this while you have spent some time together and known one another for a while. If both of you like crazy ideas, go for it!
First, agree to date appropriate for both, then make a plan the night before which professions you will try during the day in your town or city.
You can start in the morning by volunteering, then choose to help at the bus station, make a pie at your local bakery, or try to style someone’s beard at a barbershop.
You can document this to each other during the day and have a fun talk about what happened and how you experienced the whole day.
17. Have a talking session together: Communication is the key
Having talking sessions or deeper conversations via phone or video call will be a meaningful and cute way to keep the flame in your long-distance relationship.
You can use this one, two, or three times a week to discuss your feelings, your future, your plans, what is bothering you for the moment, how is your relationship developing.
Most importantly, where you’re standing in the relationship and whether you would change something in your relationship or not.
For more, you can put some soft music in the background, make something to eat, and talk to each other.
18. Have a virtual concert or an escape trip
Since you two cannot meet in person you can try having a virtual concert or an escape trip.
This can be done by having VR glasses/a set that can make you feel like you are at a real concert or having a holiday with your beloved one.
If you do not have a VR set then you can watch a youtube video together by sharing your phone screen.
19. Send one another a box of chocolate bars containing a funny anagram
If your partner likes jokes and surprises this is the perfect combination that you two can do!
It is a simple LDR idea that has a great impact. Yes, it makes your partner laugh and happy. It is as simple as that, take a box of chocolates and add to it an anagram (that can be a line that you want to communicate).
Some anagrams that you can put into that chocolate bar:
~ “Iceman? You and me? On the 5th of December? (iceman=cinema)”
~ “I guess you had a funeral with me? Right? (funeral= real fun)”
After solving the anagram you’ll get the answer if your girl or guy got it right, and chat about it.
20. Have a Pun Texting Date
Pun Texting Date is a fun idea to keep your relationship with excitement and share some time being goofy.
Here are some of the Pun Texts that you might send:
~ “I guess you’re a potato cuz’ you are so appealing to me!”
~ “If you want let’s TACO about that” while you’re having tacos
~ “Good morning, I love you a latte!”
21. Send each other unplanned outfits for your monthly anniversary
Gifts are important in any type of relationship. But especially in long-distance ones.
Even if you do not meet on your anniversary once a month, you can send one another a surprise outfit. It can be anything. Starting from matching t-shirts, matching pajamas, a favorite t-shirt, or a hoodie with cute/flirty quotes printed on it. It’s entirely up to you.
22. Choose a date once a week/month to meet in different locations
Have a meeting once a week or month. Do it according to your schedule.
It is up to you. You can choose different locations to meet up. Try to make it always different from the last time.
It can be an ice cream shop, your local bookstore, that small cafe somewhere in Brooklyn, or even you can ride bikes in the rain.
If you meet then you can also try these 68 of the most awesome things a couple can do together.
23. Mondays = Happy Meal. Be kids once a week!
It is not childish to do this – It is a fun and crazy activity. Go grab your meal and then send a picture to one another of what was that surprise gift that you took from that Happy Meal.
You can create a ritual and do this weekly or less. Try to save those little surprise gifts in a box with a date, so you can remember something exciting that the two of you did.
24. Have a mutual challenge and test yourself who is funnier than the other
Even though you are living miles away, you can prank one another to just give it a bit of a spark of excitement now and then.
Here are some crazy ideas:
1. Create a fake page and pretend that they have written an article about them. Text them and say, you cannot believe what this page has written about you. It can be for something they did at work, or how your boyfriend or girlfriend went somehow missing.
Note: Keep your jokes light! Do not overdo it!
25. Do something that scares you the most. Do it together, virtually!
If you know each other’s fears and what is in one another’s bucket list, make a mutual bucket list.
– If heights are something that scares you but you want to try it with your partner at the same time. Do it.
– You can visit a haunted house. If there is a haunted house where you live try this experience separately but make it feel like both of you are at the same place.
– Ziplining is another activity that both of you can try while talking to each other. Try to fly with a hot air balloon too. That’s fun!
– Or, if you want to run a semi-marathon that weekend just for yourself. Try it by connecting.
26. Have a long walk and the park and talk on the phone
This can be quite romantic since you can’t be together physically.
Ease yourselves while taking a walk in the park and just start asking one another about your day. Start with that and continue discussing your plans for tomorrow.
27. Send silly and funny pictures of yourself, print them and keep them in a box
This is what I like to call an Online Photobooth.
Even if you or your partner is at work, home, or taking a walk if you send a silly picture that will make your long-distance girlfriend or boyfriend feel some type of way.
The photos that your partner sends, print them, and keep them in a box.
28. Have a crazy online karaoke night
Having a karaoke night online can be as fun as having that in person. You can go and choose each other’s favorite songs to sing. Find a karaoke page and sing those songs out of your lungs.
Even with your laptop or having plugged in a stereo, either way, that could work.
29. Full moon watching/Stargazing/Talking on the phone, all combined!
When there is a full moon night or you feel like stargazing, do it together while on the phone.
Discuss what you are seeing, what does that full moon make you think, does that satellite remind you of something?
Talking on the phone or video call can make that feel even more real. Like you are there next to each other.
30. Surprise your partner at work or just knock on the door house
One thing that can make your partner happy is surprising him/her out of nowhere. Plan all that and don’t let your boyfriend/girlfriend has any clue you’re doing so.
Note: ask them about their plans before you choose that day, otherwise your plan might fail if they’re busy doing something else that day.
31. Have a bath together while being on Facetime
This idea is more intimate and personal. So make sure if your relationship is at that point where you can feel comfortable while taking a bath and facetime.
Being in this relaxing yet intimate state creates a special way of connecting with your partner.
32. Learn a Tik Tok Dance together
This idea is a little bit cheesy but it can be fun at the same time. If your partner is willing to have a little fun time and learn a dance together with you then here you go.
You can have a lot of laughs and good times while learning it.
33. Cook something “together”
Play some music with an appropriate volume, get a recipe you both want to try out, start that video call, and shall the virtual date begin?!
It’s fun and interesting, whether you suck at cooking or not, you’ll get to team up and advise one another while talking as if you’re both present in the room.
Things to do to give your attention to your beloved in LDR
To make your partner feel special in a long-distance relationship, give him or her attention.
Follow this long-distance relationship etiquette to give your partner attention and make things work:
- Send him/her a good morning text and a link to a song;
- Meet him/her in person as many times as you can. Make it a surprise now and then;
- Text him/her encouraging and supporting texts;
- Send him/her a care package;
- Be there for him/her when needed, even when you are not physically together;
- Make sure that you are connecting and not just talking;
- Be honest and listen to his/her needs too;
- When you have an online date, behave like you are next to each other. Don’t lose interest just because you are having it virtually;
- Be open to discussions and disagreements;
- If you live near his/her relatives or family be sure you connect with them too;
- Use your charisma, make them feel good and wanted; Be flirty now and then.
What not to do when in a long-distance relationship? Avoid these red flags!
Remember that being in a long-distance relationship is quite different from having your partner near you. That’s why you should be careful when it comes to these points:
1. Do not be too pushy: give your partner some space.
2. Be careful not to stay too long when you visit your LDR partner.
3. Try to properly communicate your feelings, not being hung up on an argument.
4. You don’t want your partner’s entire day and attention to be dedicated to you.
5. Make compromises when it comes to visit, have a balance.
6. Be vulnerable but do not overshare.
7. Ask questions but don’t make them feel uncomfortable.
8. Do not go overzealous.
9. Do not be clingy.
10. Don’t push your girlfriend or boyfriend into activities that they do not feel comfortable with or do not want to participate in.
11. Don’t jump to conclusions fast.
12. Don’t force them to have a virtual date more often than when he/she is available.
Some of the most common long-distance relationship issues and how to manage the whole situation
1. The insecurity in you arises. It is very common for distant couples to feel unwanted and insecure at times.
To avoid breaking up and not growing apart, try communication first. Just try to communicate and talk out loud about your needs and concerns. Avoid immediate conclusions.
2. Your points of view in life might change without you noticing. Being aware of signs that you are going different ways and your goals do not meet anymore is important in a long-distance relationship.
While growing out of having similar goals or connections can lead to a breakup, it’s important keeping each other up to date through calls and/or video calls.
If you find a mutual path then things will start to change slightly after that.
3. You feel like you started to be all possessive or you feel like you are an online hostage… If your partner keeps calling, texting, wanting to facetime you all the time, it is the time to have a serious discussion.
Even though you are miles away it is quite important to give one another healthy space – most importantly, trust one another.
Try to have a talk and discuss what makes one or the other lack trust. Ensure your partner is in healthy ways, find a common ground through which you’ll be able to solve this issue.
4. If you feel like you are detached from the outside world while you try to maintain communication… You feel detached from the outside world while trying to keep a ‘visual’ relationship.
It is very common to feel disconnected, you can try to balance your life and be in your LDS partner’s life. Have some type of schedule when you can communicate, have a date or do some fun things.
Do not let things happen casually since you two have different schedules or you live in different time zones.
Just having my final thoughts here, I’ve crafted a list of the most fun, creative, and unique LDR activities!
The answer to your question of how to be a good girlfriend or boyfriend while having a long-distance relationship is: Just be spontaneous and creative in your way – share with your partner, communicate.
It is very important to know your partner’s limits and preferences. Having mutual respect and will to make this work will get you more than through!
Leave a Reply