I believe we’re all aware of those text conversations that last for years: taking days to reply to messages, making a never-ending conversation with no good night or good morning.
When it’s about lovey-dovey text conversations, there’s a different vibe going on. The texting exchange is so quick sometimes, and so often happening, that you run out of things to discuss.
Keeping a conversation going with a guy isn’t the easiest thing to do, but it can be done, especially through text.
Keeping a conversation going through text is different from keeping a conversation going in-person with a guy, here’s why:
- You can take your time to think of the reply through text.
- When having an in-person conversation the surroundings can affect the conversation.
- You can’t receive and give body language signs when keeping the conversation through text.
- In-person conversations are more difficult to keep going since you need to give an immediate response.
There are so many ways to spice up an online conversation, to raise curiosity and excitement in that conversation; even just a simple picture can lead to a long almost never-ending conversation.
So, how do you keep a conversation going with a guy over text? Follow these 11 ways to keep a conversation going with a guy through text:
1. Initiate the conversation sometimes: text him first
The reciprocation level from both sides (you and him) is important, especially if you want to keep the conversation going over text with that guy; say, he’s your crush, boyfriend, someone you’re dating, etc.
Initiate the text conversation sometimes, let him know you’re interested.
- This prevents him from thinking you’re not interested and keeps the conversation away from a slow death.
- Get creative with your initiation, it motivates him too. It goes back and forth, it makes the conversation go on.
2. Make texting fun & interesting: Throw him interesting questions out of nowhere
When the conversation goes too ordinary and out of color, take the chance to reply to a text that doesn’t need much of a reply, with a fun & interesting question for him.
Here’s a fun list of interesting questions you can ask a guy to keep a conversation going over text:
- “How do you manage an angry/sad/mad mood?”
- “Where do you go when you need peace and calm?” (follow-up with why)
- “Is there something you wish you could talk more about?”
- “What’s your favorite thing to do on a Saturday?”
*Keep in mind to ask questions that require more than short answers to them.
*Keep in mind to not ask them one after the other: he doesn’t want to feel interviewed.
3. Text him a very specific compliment on something you like about him
We want the compliment to not be forced; If you feel like complimenting him, do so. A good compliment is a meant compliment. Here are a few examples of unique compliments:
- “I noticed you’ve got an interesting way of seeing things…”
- “I like your choice of clothes in your profile picture, I see you’ve got a pretty good sense of combining colors.”
- “Your hair makes an interesting contrast with your skin tone; It makes you pretty attractive I think.”
- “You’re making it unfair for the other guys with that jumper you’re wearing in your profile picture!”
It can lead to you both texting about that particular thing and discussing more. He’ll most probably give a compliment back, and the next thing you know, the conversation is flowing like water in a river in springtime.
4. “Oh my! Why is this reminding me of you?!”
Sending him something that reminds you of him is another way to have a long ongoing conversation. It leads to an exchange of “why” and “because” texts. It makes room for follow-up questions from his side and clever answers from yours.
- You can send a picture, a quote, a song, anything that reminds you of him.
- Sending something that reminds you of him can intrigue him to comment on it and express his thoughts on whatever you sent him.
5. Text about things you love
Things you love can include your passions, things you love doing, things you enjoy daily, etc. If you’re in the initial stages of dating you can ask him about things he loves. Or if you already know what he likes and vice versa, then you can simply start a discussion of the topic.
Here’s a shortlist of things you can talk about with a guy through a text conversation:
- Talk about favorite places to visit.
- Tell him about the thing you loved doing today in detail.
- Ask him how he’s been enjoying doing something he likes doing.
6. Send him a meme/song/movie title/picture
Keeping a conversation going with a guy over text can be easily done through a meme, a song, a picture, or simply mentioning a movie and start talking about it.
This allows both of you to express opinions, to share a laugh, which then helps in creating a connection between you. The stronger the connection, the easier for the text conversations (in-person conversations too) to keep going in the future.
- Send him something you know he’d laugh at.
- Send him something you know he’d love to talk about.
7. “I know you like reading about space. This [book/article] will blow your mind!”
If you ever come across something he loves reading or listening or watching about, then send it to him. This way, you let him know you listen and remember about things he tells you (which makes him more comfortable to share more with you).
It also makes a great space to talk about whatever you sent him, to share opinions on it. And that is exactly what keeps a conversation going. In this case, a text conversation.
- Sending something he loves reading/watching/listening about makes room for sharing thoughts on it; knowing more about each other.
- It’s a thoughtful thing to do, hence it makes the connection stronger.
8. Reciprocate on the text conversations: share your story too when he shares his
No matter what topic you’re talking about, feel free to share your story when he shares his. Reciprocation is key to keeping any conversation going, let alone a text conversation. Don’t hesitate, share.
- Sharing your story too creates space for him to comment on your story.
- Sharing your story also gives a sense of reciprocation, which is important if you want to keep it going.
9. Spice texting up: flirt with him through text
Flirting with him through text will surely keep the conversation going, it’s one of the reasons people flirt.
It’s that building of anticipation, that desire, that playfulness that makes you both want to stay just a little bit more on the conversation.
- Sending flirty texts is very likely to start a flirty conversation (i.e. get him to flirt back).
- Teasing him through flirting will add excitement to the conversation, and you’ll both be coming back for more
10. Make plans to hang out sometimes
Planning something not only keeps the conversation going, it even adds excitement to your text conversation. If you’re not ready to be seeing one another, then don’t force those plans just for the sake of your text conversation going further on.
- Plan with pictures of locations, text about it.
- Discuss what’d you’d like to do together (e.g. what activity).
11. Send him a voice message, heck, you can even call him!
If you feel like taking the conversation to another level, then keep the conversation going with a guy on the phone. Call him, or send him a voice message.
You can keep a conversation going with a guy on WhatsApp by either sending him a voice message, calling him or simply following the things I mentioned on the list above.
- Follow the same rules to keep a conversation going when you talk over the phone.
- Sending him a voice message might make him comment on your voice, and might also make him reciprocate by sending you a voice message too.
FAQ – Keeping a conversation going with a guy over text
What can I text a guy to keep him interested?
There are a few things you text him to keep him interested. Here’s what I suggest:
1. Ask interesting, thoughtful, thought-provoking questions.
2. Send him memes or gifs.
3. Share songs, movies, books with him through text.
4. Don’t try too hard to force it.
5. Reciprocate on the text initiation.
The way you practice the listed above, is now up to your creativity and your authenticity.
What are some things to text when conversation dies?
To give a text conversation a restart once it dies, you can send something like:
1. “Hello there! It’s been a while since the last time we texted… How have you been?”
2. “Couldn’t help but send this [photo] to you. For some reason, it reminded me of you.”
3. “I found your song! I can’t believe it haha! [insert link of the song]”
4. “What’s your favorite thing to do on a rainy day?”
5. “Let’s revive this text conversation, shall we?!”
How do you fix a dry text conversation with a guy?
Well first, you need to start texting him too, give him signs that you’re interested too. Here are my suggestions on fixing a dry text conversation with a guy:
1. Spice it up a little by flirting through text.
2. Get creative with pictures, songs, videos.
3. You can send a voice message too.
4. Share interesting things that remind you of him.
5. Ask interesting questions
You’ve got this, I know.
Leave a Reply