Years ago I met a guy at the bar and liked him a lot. Wanted to shoot my shot after a few days but was afraid that I would come on too strong and seem needy.
So, what I did to transmit my enthusiasm was to reintroduce myself funnily:
“Hey. I was going to reintroduce myself but I guess you already know my name. At least I hope so😁”
~The brunette girl with the funny hat!
To create your style of texting a guy you just met and like, here are 13 ways to do it:
1. Let’s reintroduce yourself
To break the ice and start a conversation with a guy you just met, you should use a natural greeting such as Hi or Hey.
Then quickly remind him how you met and what are your intentions.
Use straightforward language that will be easier for him to comprehend.
“Hey, I’ve been going through photos of last summer camping and ran across a photo of us and your number. How you’ve been Jim? Btw Mariah here.”
If it has been some time since you’ve talked, it’s better to remind him of the place you’ve lived and ask a simple question.
Because you don’t know more about him and his life, whether he has a girlfriend now or could be married.
2. You can play a simple game
I bet that right now you’re thinking, what? Is that what I’m supposed to do with someone I barely know?
Well, if you don’t feel comfortable being upfront and reintroducing yourself to him, you can make the process even easier and fun.
“Hey, nice to meet you the other day. Here, quick game. Two truths and a lie.
- I haven’t forgotten your name.
- I was thinking all the time about you.
- I don’t know who I’m talking to.”
Keep in mind, choose an easy game to play and guess. You shouldn’t keep him stringing along just to keep the conversation going.
3. Keep your text short and simple
You should avoid sending long paragraphs because he’ll immediately be bored and refuse to engage in the conversation.
He might leave you on read or just reply after a couple of hours or days with a short reply.
But, if you keep things simple and give him some time to answer then the conversation will progress.
Because he will be more intrigued to ask questions and know more about you since you don’t put pressure on him.
Even a new study has found that conversations end because either the convo got prolonged or the person didn’t get any answer.
4. Don’t text him multiple times
The way you text a guy you just met will impact the way how your connection further develops.
So, if he doesn’t text you immediately then you can wait for a couple of hours or days.
You don’t know if he’s busy or if this is bad timing.
Thus, relax and wait for him to text back. If he doesn’t do it within a few days then text once again.
If he ignores your texts then it’s time for you to rest and let him take an action.
This type of behavior is not easy to break down. Thus a relationship coach will help you to reflect on your connection to him in more detail.
You wrote the first text, now you need to roll the ball.
Asking interesting and funny questions will help you to keep the conversation going and not develop a dry conversation.
So, when you try to create a question that might be meaningful for you and him, try to be more authentic.
I am aware that multiple sources provide you with endless questions to ask a guy for the first time.
But, if you don’t add your point of view to it and your mutual experience then it might lead to a stale conversation.
“Hmm, I didn’t get any answer last night. If you could choose to buy a one-way ticket, which place would you choose?”
6. Use a silly or funny pop culture reference
If you chatted with him and know something about his preferences then you can use any pop culture reference.
Otherwise, if he’s a guy that doesn’t like tv shows or music then it would be a bit hard.
Before texting a guy you just met, try to do a bit of background research.
So, if you talked about your favorite sitcoms and both of you like The Office, you can say something like:
“I just came across your Instagram and saw that last post. Are you channeling your inner Dwight or something?”
7. Avoid being too formal
Formality will kill the continuation and flow of the conversation.
This depends on his personality. But, if he was flirty with you then you can be flirty while you text someone you just met.
You might use a bit of humor just to break the ice and still respect his boundaries.
- If you noticed that he likes to joke around then you can use the same type of humor.
- The key thing is to be yourself and use the language that you feel comfortable with.
- Using a specific type of humor just to adjust to him will only make the situation more awkward.
When you don’t know what to text a guy you just met on the first date, you might use a few compliments to get his attention.
If you want to develop a deeper connection and text him more then you might use something from your date.
For example, “All night I was thinking about your sweet laugh. It made my night.”
“Do you know that I’m still laughing at the jokes that you told me last night? You’re such a funny person😆.”
Remember, that you should be genuine with your compliments otherwise they won’t have any meaning.
9. Avoid deep conversations
Deep conversations are good for building emotional attraction.
But, if this is the first conversation via text with a guy you just met then it’s better to talk about broad and fun topics.
Emotional attraction is also built by complimenting him or asking his opinion/advice about something.
“Hey, (insert his name). I was just thinking to start swimming classes. Will you remind me one that you know?”
10. Make him feel welcome and give him space to talk to
The moment that you’re getting to know him, it’s better to keep a balanced conversation.
You need to give and take at the same time. That’s why as mentioned, asking open-ended questions is important.
To avoid dominating the conversation, give him a sneak peek at your life and who you are.
Open the route for him to talk about himself too. Listen to him and be attentive.
“Did I tell you that I am going to run a half marathon in Seattle this summer?”
“I remember that you told me that you need to take your cat to the vet today. How is she?”
11. Respect his boundaries
No matter if you met this guy over social media, on dating apps, or in person, using suggestive language immediately shifts his perspective.
Even though a man likes to flirt but he has also boundaries.
So, to give him the needed respect and still get his attention, you need to be flirty but avoid using sexual innuendos.
If he used them before you and you feel comfortable then you might use them too.
Thus, go slowly and wait for his reply. Study a bit about his replies and how he interacts with you.
12. Don’t keep talking about the same topic over and over again
If you want to be an expert and know how to text someone you just met then you should sharpen your communication skills.
You should know when and where to talk about a certain topic and when it’s time to progress things.
For example, if you have talked about your preferences and joked about them all the time, after two conversations you need to switch it up.
Change the topic. Start talking about something that might be practical for you too. Such as movies, the latest songs, or traveling.
13. Know where to end the conversation
It’s good to have an instant connection with a guy you just met and you want to progress it further.
But, you should be careful because if you put too much pressure on him then everything might seem generic.
What I advise is to take one step at a time.
Also, dating coach Todd V has claimed that one should know when to stop even when the conversation is being enjoyed by both.
He explained that this is the first mistake that people, in general, do while texting, and then the conversation gets dry.
What to text guy you just met examples!
If you’re wondering what to text a guy you just met, you came to the right section.
Before choosing which example you want to use in your situation, try to reflect on your relationship too him.
Check how much have you talked or what you know about him.
Try to incorporate any type of detail in your conversations.
Here are 15 samples that you might use:
1. “Hey, I enjoyed talking to you last night. How are you doing today?”
2. “Hey, it’s me Carla from Mathew’s party. Just wanted to
3. “Hello from the other sideeeee. Hello it’s me (insert your name)”
4. “Today I’m going to the restaurant you recommended last night. I’ll keep you updated.”
5. “Just wanted to say thank you for all you’ve done last night.”
6. “I just loved the fact that you like Mitski too. Do you have any idea where I can find her Vinyl?”
7. “I am planning to go for a happy hour at Mountains tomorrow with some BFFs I found on Bumble. Would you like to come?”
8. “I hear the song Night Trouble by Petit Biscuit and it made me think of you. Thank you for your suggestions.”
9. “Hey, I just found this video and thought you might like to see it.”
10. “What’s up Joe? I ate the banana muffin and I enjoyed it. I am not usually enthusiastic about it but it was Bombastic.”
11. “Hi, what are you reading right now? Ughhh, I need some recommendations.”
12. “I am planning to have a two-hour road trip to San Francisco. I need a good playlist…pleaseee.”
13. “I have a theory. People who meet at a club, Friday night, when the clock strikes 10, are gonna last forever. Thoughts?”
14. “I was watching tv yesterday and Robbert Pattinson was there. But, I thought, nope Jake looks 100 times better.”
15. “I think that we should just create a club. Not a book club. A “drink a lot and forget who this number is” club.
In conclusion: What to text a guy you just met and like?
You can text a guy that you just met and like by opening the conversation lightly so you can make him feel welcomed.
The first and only rule is to give him a glimpse of you and get him hooked.
If you reveal all about yourself in the first message and you always initiate conversations then you’ll just push him away.
Don’t panic. Try to enjoy more the process of getting to know him.