Being in love and being loved is the best feeling in the world. But knowing how to express this feeling even through words or actions, seems a little bit difficult to do.
It doesn’t matter if you express your love through words or small actions being the first one to say or show it takes courage, as you’re exposing yourself to a certain level of vulnerability.
On the other hand, there are times you love your partner so much, but you just run out of ways to show it. Whichever the case, it’s beautiful that you’re here.
First of all, make sure you love him. Make sure that this is not just a crush, a lust, or just infatuation. But, how do you know you love him and that he is the one?
Well, they say you’ll know it when it happens. Not to mention that other guys look very casual to you and you’re not attracted to any of them! You get lost in him and most importantly you feel yourself around him.
After making sure that you know that what you’re feeling is love, the next step is to know in which type of scenario is yours.
I’ve listed five different scenarios and tips to use to tell him you love him. Find your situation and adjust the given tips:
- You have been dating for a while and you want to say/show it to him.
- Your boyfriend hasn’t said “I love you”. You are the one to say it first.
- He said “I love you” first!
- You want to tell your guy friend that you love him.
- You want to reaffirm your love to your husband or boyfriend (showing him you love him without words).
After being introduced to different scenarios, let’s jump to 16 ways to tell him you love him (with or without words):
First Scenario: You have been dating for a while and you want to say it & show it: love
There are plenty of people who dodged the bullet and said I love you first. Well, some of them went through happily ever after, some of them didn’t. It’s important to know how to say it when it’s the first time you say “I love you”
1. Organize a nice & special dinner for two
If you have been dating for a while and he hasn’t said I love you yet or first then organize something like a special dinner just for the two of you.
Let it be romantic, intimate, heartwarming, and touching for both of you. While at the dinner, not while chewing, you can follow up with some words like:
“Look [his name], I have been having a good time with you these months. I want to thank you for having a great impact on me. I feel amazing to have you by my side.”
Or you can look him in the eyes, hold his hand, and let it out: “I love you.” BUT! Before that:
2. Be confident and mean what you say
If you have been dating for some months now and you feel ready to express your feelings, do it and be confident while at it.
Even if your heart beats too fast just thinking about it, take the courage and follow up your words with actions.
You can choose to be confident while saying it and mean it. Some guys have it difficult to be vulnerable and maybe for him, it is difficult to express his feelings. Don’t impose it on him, go gently but with confidence.
Your confidence is an assurance for him. If you had a great time at the park just say to him: “I had a great time tonight. I truly appreciate you and your presence. John, I love you!”
3. Pair your words with your actions and don’t pressure him to say it back
The best way to tell him that you’re in love with him is by doing something for him. It is not all about the three words, it’s more about what you do for him.
If he makes you happy, do the same: Do things that make him happy.
If he takes care of you, do the same. If you feel safe around him, give him the same freedom to do so. You can surprise him with a picnic at the park, a movie or concert ticket, a dinner for two, or even an escape trip.
Remember, actions are louder than words!
Second Scenario: Your boyfriend hasn’t said “I love you” yet, you are the one to say it first
Well, he’s pursuing you but he hasn’t said the magic words yet.
You want to make your boyfriend feel comfortable when you tell him that you’re in love with him.
Keep in mind that each guy reacts differently in this type of situation. No matter which technique or setting you choose to convey it to him, he will react and reflect based on the way he feels.
You have to know when and how to have to tell your parents that you have a boyfriend.
If you want to tell him you love him without making him feel intimidated go through these tips:
1. Do not plan it for a long time or overthink, make it natural and spontaneous, be straightforward.
Saying I love you for the first time should be natural, though not generic.
Do not convey this message through the text. It is better to let him know in person. Practice saying it to him if you have to.
It is better to say to him when two of you are having a cute date, are cuddling, he has complimented you, told you how much you mean to him, or when you’re having the best time of your life with one another.
Make sure of one thing: Choose your words wisely. Be you, do not say it on the way he might like it; say it the way you feel it.
2. Let it be a quiet place to tell him, let it be something romantic.
Though a loud place might not be a bad idea if you want to scream your lungs out while confessing your love to him, finding a quiet place and making everything romantic will allow you to connect more emotionally.
It can be a park, a bed, a couch, a restaurant, a floor, anything that involves the two of you seeing and hearing one another. Being all romantic and cozy you can:
- Start with letting him know how much you appreciate him and what you like about him.
- Go on with telling him what he does that makes you angry but still, you do not give up on him.
- Moreover, lean near him and kiss him.
- Finish it by saying I love you.
Then, let it all be natural, and do not ruin the moment by asking him how he feels or if he feels the same. He will let you know later on or will do something that moment to give you a response/clue.
3. Let him know how much he means to you: Be honest even if it’s not verbally
You can say I love you even without saying it word for word.
There are different ways to tell your boyfriend how much you appreciate him.
Try to spend more time with him, be there for him when he needs to make big decisions, try to understand him, shower him with compliments, listen to him, and ask his opinion more often.
Third Scenario: He said ‘I love you’ first
Well, it is more complicated when he says it first and you do not know how to say it back. Your way of telling him you love him differs in what position you are in. Whether he is your boyfriend, if you are just dating, or you have only talked online.
If you have been talking only online with a guy and he confessed his love for you, then you might take it a bit easier on that one. Don’t rush, and pay attention to the flags.
1. Be polite and say how you feel at that moment
Do not say I love you without feeling it. You may politely say: “I enjoy talking to you and your company. But I would like to explore more of you and our connection.”
By being polite I mean sharing your thoughts and feelings politely, not telling him you love him without feeling so just for the sake of not making him feel bad about it.
2. Respond with other expressions rather than “I love you”!
If he has told you that he loves you and you find it hard to say I love you back. Try these expressions instead:
|“I am so glad that you are in my life.”|
|“You are the most important person to me.”|
|“Thank you for making me believe in love.”|
|“No one else makes me feel the way you do.”|
|“Every time I look at you I am lost in your eyes and heart.”|
|“I am glad and grateful that you exist.”|
|“You are my world, my ray of sun, my everything.”|
3. Decide whether you want to reply to his confession immediately or in the meantime
When your boyfriend tells you first that he loves you but you haven’t said it yet (and you feel like doing so), you can decide to reply right away or give it a moment.
If you feel like replying to him later on and making it special then write it down.
If you feel like replying to him immediately and you feel sure that is the right moment for you two then you can say:
– “I love you too. I am glad that you’re mine.”
– “I love you, and your presence. I love the way you make me feel.”
Fourth Scenario: You want to tell your guy friend that you love him
1. First, notice what are his feelings are towards you
Get closer to him physically and emotionally, see if he doesn’t keep the distance from you, if he flirts back and if he treats you differently from other women.
2. Be clear and do not tell them about your feelings when you aren’t sober
The best way to confess your love to your best friend is when the two of you are having a deep conversation.
It’ll get messy and blurry if you express your feelings when you’re drunk!
During the date after you had all the little fun and went on the vulnerable mode, you might say something like:
“Listen, John. For some time I have had feelings for you. I like you a lot and I would like to be more than friends with you”
Again, no pressure, and no overreaction despite his response to your confession.
3. Plan a night out, just the two of you
If he agrees to have just a night out together, whether at a restaurant or the cinema, tell him you love him by the end of the night.
You might start the conversation with how much he means to you and how you like him, and what are his traits that you like the most.
Pay close attention to his reaction. If you see that he is not uncomfortable then don’t continue furthermore.
Fifth Scenario: Reaffirm your love to your husband or even boyfriend
1. Be all intimate and vulnerable during Pillow Talks
One of the ways to reaffirm that you love him is during pillow talks. Use it because that is the most vulnerable moment when you can let him know that you love him.
You know he does love you, and to show him that more often it is better if you’re honest, playful, and a little bit naughty. Let him know your soft side too.
You may use different phrases such as “Do you remember our first kiss? I will never forget that taste. Gosh, I love you so much!”
2. Send him funny texts (but cute and romantic too) to let him know you love him
To let him know that you love him, just send special texts. Something cute and something romantic, or something flirty to make him think a bit longer.
A few good examples of texts to send to your boyfriend/husband:
“I am never lost when I am with you. You are my compass..”
“I guess I had no idea what love is until I met you. I’m so grateful for you!”
“How dare you be so perfect and lovable?!”
Find new things and exciting ones to tell him that you love him. Here are a few examples:
– Buy him tickets to his favorite band or movie
– Go to the karaoke bar and sign to him your favorite song
– Play video games with him
– Book a day at the spa for two of you
– Do any of his favorite activities, learn new things!
It shows him that you’re putting time and effort into making him happy and joyous, it’s a great act of love.
4. Leave him flirty notes here and there. Be creative!
Flirtation is important at any stage of a relationship. Leaving flirty notes in his jacket, under the pillow, next to his cologne, or whenever appropriate, will make him know that you love him.
Next to his workout jokes you may leave a note: “Jake, you need to skip the gym today. I’ll give you a workout when you get home. Love you.”
Or in the bathroom you may leave something like: “I love you a lot. Even when you let the toilet seat up or when you don’t put the tap on the toothpaste.”
Leaving notes will help you keep reminding him with little surprises to show how much you love him.
How to tell him you love him over text? …Or should you call him? Examples included!
Expressing your love to him through text is easier said than done, but then again, it might not be as difficult compared to in-person confession.
1. If you have been dating for a while you should use text messages to lead the way to tell that you love him in person. Example: “There was a song playing about love and I thought of you.”
2. If he is your boyfriend and you want to tell him first then you can text him this: “Nick, I’m not going to keep it in anymore… I love you.”
3. If your boyfriend said I love you first and you want to reply implying the same: “I know I freaked out the other day. I’d like to see you and say it back properly. Tomorrow at 7 pm, at my place?”
4. If you want to tell your guy friend that you are into him, you better text something but switch it up to a call and then to a meeting face to face.
Send him some hints with books, movies, or even songs that talk about best friends falling in love.
Also, do not be too harsh and try too hard. An example of a good text to send your guy friend:
“I know that you love chocolate cakes so I brought you one, open the door, will you?” Then you can have a walk in the park and tell him about your feelings.
5. If you are in a long-distance relationship and you want to tell him you love him first, or even you are second this time.
“We are apart now, but I keep you close in my heart and dreams. My love will find a way to get to you. I mean telepathically or via the internet, lol.”
“I am jumping up and down from what you wrote and believe me I would kiss you like crazy if you were near. I love you too!”
FAQ: Is there just one way to tell him you love him?
1. Should you tell a man you love him first?
Yes, you should tell a man that you love him first – If you feel that way and are sure of your feelings.
Just make sure you don’t pressure him into saying it back right away. Give him space, tell him what you’re feeling with confidence, and choose your words carefully.
2. When can you tell a man you love him?
You can tell a man you love him once you’re sure you do love him, and once you know you’re ready for him to know about it.
Some feel ready after a few months, some need more time to adjust to this idea, and that’s okay.
Make it clear to yourself that those feelings aren’t driven by loneliness, fear of ending up alone. The moment you are all cleared up, choose a moment when you have his attention and go for it!
3. What is the best way to tell him you love him?
The best way to tell him you love him is by knowing his love language and ‘speaking it’. But also by being yourself and helping both of you grow as individuals and as a pair.
A few ideas on the best ways to tell him you love him:
- Kiss and hug him like it’s the last time;
- Tell him verbally when you’re both face to face;
- Help him around, let him know you’re there for him;
- Get him meaningful gifts, etc.
There are billions of ways to tell him you love him. Do it because you feel like it and you’ll find your best way to tell him you love him. Give love when you can, it’s truly a blessing.